Saturday, January 24, 2009

getting zen

Wow. I feel like my mind is taking a nice, long stretch. I've been occupied with so much stuff that my brain hasn't had a chance to just relax.

The art journal workshop was nice. I think we are going to meet up monthly to make journals and work on them together.

I am going to refrain from doing a lot of art stuff for a week. A week! Ouch. And what I am going to do is declutter my house. I'm actually kinda psyched about this.

See, we never recovered from the holidays. You know how it is, guests coming over, tons of gifts that you have to find places for, so much food, on and on it goes. Our X-mas tree is still up, dammit.

I like www.zenhabits.com  and the ideas for decluttering. I especially like that these can be done in five minutes. When I am cleaning I like to set a timer for 5 or 15 minutes and do what I can. Anyway, here are some of my favorite tips:

Designate a spot for incoming papers. Papers often account for a lot of our clutter. This is because we put them in different spots — on the counter, on the table, on our desk, in a drawer, on top of our dresser, in our car. No wonder we can’t find anything! Designate an in-box tray or spot in your home (or at your office, for that matter) and don’t put down papers anywhere but that spot. Got mail? Put it in the inbox. Got school papers? Put it in the inbox. Receipts, warranties, manuals, notices, flyers? In the inbox! This one little change can really transform your paperwork.

Start clearing a starting zone. What you want to do is clear one area. This is your no-clutter zone. It can be a counter, or your kitchen table, or the three-foot perimeter around your couch. Wherever you start, make a rule: nothing can be placed there that’s not actually in use. Everything must be put away. Once you have that clutter-free zone, keep it that way! Now, each day, slowly expand your no-clutter zone until it envelopes the whole house! Unfortunately, the neighbors don’t seem to like it when you try to expand the no-clutter zone to their house, and start hauling away their unused exercise equipment and torn underwear when they’re not at home. Some people don’t appreciate simplicity, I guess.

(I am going to make my designated starting zone the bar diviiding the kitchen and living room.)  


2 comments:

Fawn and Flower said...

Ooh. I need a starting zone... I'm tidy to the point of obsession, nearly, but I don't have a single spot that is just quiet and clutter-free. Now I need to read the rest of them, thank you! :)

Kozmicbluesbaby said...

Great tips, I feel inspired. I desperately need a productive and inspiring study area.I'm thinking of ripping down the Bowflex(slash clothes rack, lol) and making this room strictly business. Thanks sis